Merricks Estate Shiraz 2005 (12 x 750mL), Mornington Peninsula, VIC.

Liquor Act 2007: It is against the law to sell or supply alcohol to, or to obtain alcohol on behalf of, a person under the age of 18 years. Liquor licence LIQP770010049
$29.99 per Bottle
$359.88 per case
This item is sold out

To view similar items click here.


The maritime climate of the Mornington Peninsula - one of Australia’s youngest and fastest growing wine regions -offers unique growing conditions. it has quickly established itself as A producer some of Australia’s finest wines.

VIC - Mornington Peninsula

Expert Reviews

“The pungent spice and pepper of three years ago (when first tasted) has receded somewhat,complex secondary characters starting to emerge, the length and balance intact”. 94 Points James Halliday’s Wine Companion

Winery Tasting Notes

The Merricks Estate Shiraz was handpicked prior to being crushed at the winery and fermented on skins. During the seven day ferment the wine was pumped over three times a day to gain maximum skin contact. This Shiraz was matured in 20% new American oak barriques, the remaining 80% in 2 year old American barriques.


Recognised as a benchmark cool climate Shiraz Merricks Estate 2005 has intense aromas and flavours of black fruits, liquorice and spice including intense black pepper and cedar characters.


This wine is supported by good acid and fine grained tannins which give it balance, length and structure.

VIC - Mornington Peninsula
Grape Style
Shiraz / Syrah
Closure Type
Cork closure

Winery Profile

Brand Profile Image

The Mornington Peninsula in Southern Victoria, produces some of Australia's most distinctive fine wines because of its cool climate and long ripening season.

Situated on lush gentle slopes in sight of Western Port Bay, Merricks Estate was one of the first commercial vineyards, planted in 1978 by the Kefford family as a trial to explore the possibilities of wine making in an area that was then known only for its farming and horticulture and tourism.

Merricks Estate since 1982 has produced high quality wines from its estate grown Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon. Our customers have enjoyed current releases of wines with between 4-7 years of bottle aging. The Merricks Estate label is known for its older vintaged wines.Merricks Estate Shiraz was recognized as an exceptional wine from its earliest release. The 1984 Shiraz was named by England's prestigious Decanter magazine as on of the best wines of 1985, and was described as "a wondrously spicy/peppery wine which is, at the same time hauntingly delicate."

At Merricks Estate the most elusive grape, Pinot Noir, has produced superb burgudian style wines but tantalizingly low yields. It was therefore gratifying when the 1997 Pinot Noir (the first vintage to meet Royal Melbourne Show volume requirements) was awarded the trophy for Best Pinot Noir in the show.

In June 2009, we have added a new label Merricks Thompson's Lane to our range. Thompson's Lane is the name of the gravel road where Merricks Estate is located. The wines sold under the Merricks Thompson's Lane label are also made from our premium estate grown grapes and with dedicated wine making methods. These wines are made without compromising fruit quality or wine making skills. With the Merricks Thompson's Lane wines, we are responding to the demand for early drinking premium Mornington Peninsula wines at a competitive price.

View Merricks Estate website


Loading content...
Loading content...

Peace of Mind