View d'Arenberg website
d'Arenberg Celebrates 100 Years in 2012
d’Arenberg was established in 1912 when the teetotalling Joseph Osborn purchased a 65 hectare property in the northern part of McLaren Vale containing established vineyards, stables and a homestead. Joseph was soon joined by his son Francis Ernest Osborn who left medical school for a life on the land. Father and son expanded the vineyard holdings to 78 hectares, selling grapes to local wineries until the winery facilities were finished in 1927.
In 1943, third generation Francis d’Arenberg Osborn (universally known as d’Arry) joined the business at age 16 to assist his ill father. d’Arry assumed full control of the business in 1957 when his father passed away, and in 1959 he created the d’Arenberg brand and bottled the first vintage under the now famous red stripe.
While the world around them battled two world wars, survived the Great Depression and underwent unprecedented social and technological change - four generations of the Osborn family have worked the property and shaped the family business into its current form.
d’Arenberg now exports to over sixty countries and is one of Australia’s most revered wineries, with two wines in the Langton’s Classification of Australia Wine and a top rating in the Australian Wine Companion.
d’Arry handed over the winemaking duties to his son, Chester Osborn in 1983 upon his graduation from a winemaking degree. Chester has spent his time at the winemaking helm driving a focus on premium wines. He has been steadfast in maintaining the techniques used by his forefathers and honouring the old vine vineyards planted by them.
Chester is keen to take the 100 year celebrations to the world in 2012.
“We will be hosting dinners and parties all over the world,” he said. “We want to involve as many people as possible next year, we can’t think of a better excuse to have a party.”