View Chateau De Pez website
Château de Pez, west of the commune of Saint-Estèphe, rivals Calon Ségur as the most ancient of all the Bordeaux vineyards. Its 39 adjoining hectares enjoy ideal exposures on the hilltops around the Château itself.
Thanks to continuous investment, Château de Pez has been carefully renovated since it was acquired by the House of Louis Roederer in 1995. Today this great Cru Bourgeois is restored to its former glory and retakes its rightful place in the limelight as one of the shining stars of Saint-Estèphe.
The Domain of Pez, created in the 15th century, is, along with Calon, the oldest in Saint-Estèphe. In 1452, squire Jean de Briscos ruled the estate; in 1526 the "noble man" Ducos was master, followed by Jean de Pontac in 1585.
The Pontac family, who likewise created Haut-Brion, gave Pez its vineyards. The property remained in the hands of descendants -the Marquis d'Aulède and Count de Fumel, Commander of the Province of Guyenne- until the French Revolution. Sold as a property of the state, the domain belonged to the Tarteiron, Balguerie, Lawton, du Vivier, Bernard, and Dousson families in succession. It was purchased in June 1995 by Champagne Louis Roederer.